How to apply for the Single Registry? | Economy

The information is also used by states and municipalities to implement public policies.

Being in the Single Registry, however, does not mean automatic entry into these programs, as each of them has its own specific rules. But it is a prerequisite for the application to be evaluated.

You can register for the Single Registry:

  • Families with a monthly income of up to half a minimum wage per person;
  • Families with a total monthly income of up to three minimum wages;
  • Families with incomes greater than three minimum wages, provided that registration is linked to inclusion in social programs in the three spheres of government;
  • People who live alone – constitute the so-called single-person families;
  • People who live on the streets — alone or with their family.

How to apply for the Single Registry

Enrollment in the Cadastro Único is carried out in person only. Citizens must check where the procedure is carried out in the city where they live. Normally, this service is provided at the Social Assistance Reference Centers (CRAS) or at service centers of the Cadastro Único and the Bolsa Família Program in city halls. See the step by step:

1. Look for a CRAS or Cadastro Único post

If the family is not registered in the Cadastro Único, they must check where the Cadastro Único is carried out in the city where they live. City halls usually register at the Social Assistance Reference Center (CRAS) or at a service center of the Cadastro Único and Bolsa Família Program.

At CRAS, it is possible to find out about where registration is done, in case CRAS itself does not carry out the interview. There are cases in which it is necessary to schedule the service through a call center. In any case, through CRAS, the citizen will know what steps he should take to do his interview.

It is possible to check the CRAS addresses of each municipality at the link

2. Required Documentation

The person who will register the family must be at least 16 years old, have a CPF or voter registration card and preferably be a woman. This person, for the Single Registry, is called the family head.

It is necessary for her to take her CPF or voter registration card and also present at least one document of the following documents for each person in the family:

  • Birth certificate;
  • Wedding certificate;
  • CPF;
  • Identity Card – RG;
  • Work Card;
  • Voter Title;
  • Administrative Registration of Indigenous Birth (RANI) – only if the person is indigenous.

Those responsible for indigenous or quilombola families do not need to present their CPF or voter registration card if they do not have one, but they must carry another identification document among those listed above.

People without documentation or without civil registration can apply for the Cadastro Único, but will not be able to access social programs until they have the necessary documentation.

3. Registration interview

When seeking assistance from the Cadastro Único, either at CRAS or at a post in the Cadastro Único, the most important step that the head of household must carry out is the interview at the Cadastro Único. A social interviewer, who is an employee of the municipal government, will ask questions about various aspects of the family’s reality: who is part of the family, characteristics of the household, expenses, if there are people with disabilities in the family, level of education of the members, work characteristics and remuneration of family members and whether the family is indigenous or quilombola.

This interview can be recorded on a specific paper form or in the Single Registry System, directly on the computer. In any of these situations, the interviewer must request the signature of the Responsible Family Member on the completed or printed form and provide proof of registration.

4. Confirmation of registration: NIS assignment

When entering the family data in the Single Registry System for the first time, the system will check if the family members already have a NIS, and if they don’t, they will be assigned a NIS. The NIS is the Social Identification Number. This process can take up to 48 hours and aims to ensure that each person registered is unique. Only people who have NIS assigned can participate in social programs.

5. Data update

When the family registers for the Cadastro Único, it undertakes to update the data whenever there is a change in the family’s characteristics or a change of domicile or, at most, every two years. In this case, the citizen spontaneously seeks a CRAS or a Single Registry post to update their data. But the public power, through the federal or municipal government, can also summon families, through letters, extracts or phone calls, to update.

​With your updated information, it is possible to identify the exact situation in which the family is in order to participate in government social programs. And to receive program announcements, the latest information registered is used.

Annually, the federal government carries out the cadastral review action, in which families with outdated data are called to update their registries. If families go more than 4 years without updating the data, their records may be excluded from the Cadastro Único.

The family can also be summoned to carry out the cadastral investigation. In this process, the data of family members go through verification processes, in which they are compared with information from other databases, such as records of formal work or social security benefits. If an inconsistency is identified, families are called to update their records. If they do not update, they may have their data excluded from the Cadastro Único at the end of the process and lose social benefits.

6. Consultation of Single Registry data

To find out if the family is registered or not and if they need to update the registration, a member of the family can check the status of their registration through the Meu CadÚnico application, which allows citizens registered in the Cadastro Único to access their own data and their family and allows the printing of proof of registration.

It also allows you to know if the family’s registration is outdated or if it is included in some cadastral investigation process, which requires a new update.

People can report cases in which the Cadastro Único sector does not want to register, by contacting the Ombudsman of the Ministry of Citizenship, by phone 121.

Leave a Comment